Monday, December 21, 2015

Santa Claus

                 I get Santa Claus. He delivers gifts. At least he did ,once upon a time. Now depending on what we tell the kids, he still does in some houses and in some, the kids are just grown up enough to  shut up for the sake of their younger siblings. Then there are some in denial!!!!Not naming names.
                 When I say I get Santa Claus, it has been a process. In India, we have pink Santa Claus masks that a brave soul has to put on along with a sweltering red outfit with a pillow stuffed in to make for a shapely belly. We don't expect him to leave gifts under the tree. He is a  special guest. He shows up at 'Christmas celebrations in a church or a school! The 'Santa Claus' is an event in India!! While the crowd awaits, there would be updates on where he is. New Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai and finally he'd show up in our town! WOOHOO!!! Depending on what is available, he'd show up on the most available mode of transportation that minute. An auto rickshaw, a car, a cycle rickshaw or even a stray donkey. On the sight of this scary looking man with a pink mask and white cotton that constitutes a moustache and a straggly beard, the kids and even some adults usually flee the scene in horror. The children scream in fear and it gets worse when he comes to hold the babies. So that was Santa Claus growing up....for me. Santa Claus did not translate into gifts. In fact, there were never gifts in Christmas. There was church on Christmas day ,a new set of clothes and a good meal. Simple! Affordable!
               Now in the United States, I get it....well, kinda'. Santa Claus is a HUGE deal. Not to be taken lightly. Everyone LOVES Santa. No matter how many dollars you spend and how many hours you spend buying those gifts, the credit curtly goes to Santa. My kids, at the last minute, would say, "Just put it on the list, mom. Santa will get it" Sure! why not. The 'poor guy' thought he was done buying gifts for our family a week ago, now he will have to dash off to the store. Did you catch the pun? you know with dasher and all, totally intended. And soon enough, the kids grow and sorta figure why the gifts are wrapped in the same wrapping paper we got last week or why mom screams at them not to look at the back of the van.
           I caught myself, a few years ago, bending backwards trying to insist to my curious child about Santa coming over on Christmas eve. Why do I do this to myself? When I insist on teaching honesty and truth to my kids, why do I  hold on to this non-fact and insist it is a fact? I don't know. Maybe I do want to treasure that secret of magic. Till it lasts anyway!
           Of course, I don't want to ignore the elf on the shelf! But one of my friends had warned me not to get her started on the elf that has been driving her crazy. So I will let that pass.

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment