Sunday, October 23, 2016

Using the Indian woman card!

A few months ago, a US Presidential candidate was called out for using the woman card! Remember that? I pondered over why there was such a furor and wondered what kind of a card I use? I am a woman. Do I use the woman card??? Then it came to me, I have been using the ‘Indian woman’ card. That is the standard I stick to. The adjective for the term would change on a daily basis. It will range from the paranoid Indian woman to the angry Indian woman and everything you can think of in between. When you can’t escape it, embrace it and USE it.
            Boy! Have I done that. Ask my kids. This is a typical day in the life of my 2 kids. “What? A cellphone in 6th grade? I was 28 when I got my first cellphone in India”, “do you know what happens in India if you talk back to your parents? When I was in India……, “You are lucky you are not in an Indian school right now”…. So there you have it, a bit of a blackmail and a bit of a putting life in perspective. Or when it comes to explaining that taking an exam in India is writing pages and pages of answers in 3 hours and not filling bubbles in a scantron.
            Ask my husband when I reminisce those nostalgic moments of “when we were in India, or if we were in India, or when we have this desire to eat a vadai and  drink cup of piping hot tea from a pettikadai around the corner or the craving for a dosai for dinner or would just like to drop in on our parents or attend a wedding just to eat biriyani……
             There are times when I am doing what I do best, talking about India with my friends when I whip out this card and go to town until I begin to see very obvious signs of boredom from the person I am engaged in conversation. There was once a yawn! And yes, I did call the person out on it and I totally threw the blame on my origin.  Here is a sample…..“Personal space? What is that?” or “Parking lots, green lawns, side walks, date night for parents? We don’t have that” or “Women empowerment in India is not the same as feminism here”- It is just the basic survival technique there and not a fight for equal rights here. Women wearing jeans and driving a car is still a sign of super modern advancement in India and yet a given here. I can use my card to explain my difference from the rest of my American friends and can conveniently use it to buffer my ignorance as well. I have gotten good at it in the few years I have lived here.  
            Or even when I am by myself, when I compare and contrast the 2 different cultures I live with, I wonder about my place in a country where I am an immigrant. I will always look Indian in the eyes of my onlookers. So I will just use my Indian woman card and flaunt it every which way. It is used proudly and never as an excuse. It is used to prove my worth as a woman who has transcended/transcending the cultural differences and yet holds her head high in moments of utter embarrassment. “It is a learning curve” is such an American term that totally fit my agenda for the past 14 years here. Still learning to maneuver the curve. Keep driving but drive slowly in the curve.
           


No comments:

Post a Comment