Monday, May 2, 2016

Stating the obvious about the election year


         I love those election campaign commercials! Said no one ever. So why do we put up with it? Just because the politicians are rich enough to buy airtime and have access to our phone numbers, why should we,the people, put up with it? Can't we do something to reject them? Pass a bill to block this power play? To see and hear the same commercials over and over again, droning out everything else, does seem a bit redundant. And no, watching it or hearing it one more time is not going to change my mind. No matter how I look at it, I am not voting for any of them. So I cry out.

            To be honest, I love the election year in the United States. Love watching the delegate count, Super Tuesdays coverages, every news anchor getting so heated up about every political issue on the plate, yet ignoring the rest of the world as if no one exists outside of the United States. As for myself,  if I could help it from here on out till November, I'd be content to watch just one channel (and ABC on Thursdays for Grey's).  Altho' by now I wish we knew who exactly the nominees were, but that's not happening anytime soon for at least one party. And so we await a contested convention. Seriously, can't wait.

           Sure, we find ourselves in a very bizarre election year.... where the youngest candidate is 45 and the oldest 74. That is not the bizarre part of it. The 'bizarreness' part is where one party is scrambling to stop the front runner. Not the other party's  front runner but its own. I have never heard that and I bet you haven't either. What do you call someone who feeds fear and hatred of minorities to the paranoid? The front runner of one party. The 'front runner' is not a politician they say, he is an 'outsider' which is why people love him. What do you call someone who, potentially, does win the election under a party banner and gets into the white house? A politician. I have also heard this particular candidate using absolute degrading words to define the other candidates (of the same party and of course, even worse words for the opposite side) and I have heard better from school kids and teenagers who get into a fight. To imagine this front runner being the next president  makes me realize I am not good with imagination.

            Like I said, even if I were to vote, I wouldn't know if I would want to. I hate guns and I hate abortions.  I don't get how one can be pro-gun and pro-life.  Someone said that it is comparing Apples to Oranges. Really? Is it? To me both represent death. I don't get how one can be pro-life and anti-refugee. On the other hand, I don't get how pro-choice means you can choose anything  you want to do or be. I don't get how one can deny climate change.  I don't get the uproar about a female president/ vice -president  in the United States, either. I come from India that has had a female President, a female Prime Minister and a female Chief minister and to top that the parliament has 33% allotted for women. No matter what you think of male chauvinism in India, we have had women in leadership and India is doing just fine. After all, are we all not created in God's image. Were we all not born of a woman?

            If everyone who says they will move to Canada if a woman or this bad mouthing front runner becomes President  were to keep their word, I envision an immigration crisis in the North for the first time.  And what are we gonna do, build a wall and have Canada pay for that?

 

6 comments:

  1. If you're loving this year, you'll love the elections of the 1800's. I"m serious! History helps me remember as insane as I think now is, nothing new under the sun :). Hang on for the ride! This is my first time being back in the US for an entire election cycle since 1992!!! What?! I know

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were the first one to read the blog. We had to go for Rotary meeting. So couldn't respond last night.
    Consider our plight in India in the same situation. Everyone promises prohibition and calls the others promises a fake. We have no place to emigrate! Our immediate neighbors are Pak and Bang! The other Neibour has already built a wall (of China)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha!too funny.thank you for your comment.

      Delete
    2. Hahaha!too funny.thank you for your comment.

      Delete